Posted on October 2, 2008 by Tia Lalani

The reunion of the classes of 57 and 58 was a gathering unlike any that usually happens on Augustana Campus. It was a celebration of 50 years


The reunion of the classes of 57 and 58 was a gathering unlike any that usually happens on Augustana Campus. It was a celebration of 50 years since graduation, and for some of the alumni it had been that long since they had visited the campus. Alumni travelled from B.C., Saskatchewan, Ontario, and even as far away as Colorado. The gathering also included members from one of Augustana’s founding families, the Moi family, as well as the Minister of Agriculture for British Columbia. Many of the former students were accompanied by family members who are Augustana alumni from more recent years.

In 50 years, a lot has changed. In 1957 and 1958, Augustana Campus was Camrose Lutheran College, which consisted of one building – Founders’ Hall. It was here that students took classes, studied, ate, slept, and socialized. The small quarters influenced friendships that 50 years later, still exist – friendships that were renewed and reinforced as they reminisced and laughed together throughout the weekend.

Today, Founders’ Hall is in a new location surrounded by several buildings, one still under construction. The original building now holds offices and only a few classrooms. It’s a far cry from the days when everything took place within its walls.

While many things can change on campus, some things will stay the same. The name on the letter head has evolved, new buildings have gone up and old one’s come down but the most important part has stayed the same; the community, fellowship and spirit of Augustana’s students and teachers. The students helping out that day share the same spirit (and one day, their own memories of their time on campus) as the students from 50 years ago.


Posted in Augustana Campus. | Permalink

Comments are closed.