Augustana Choir inspired by Shakespeare
Posted on April 20, 2015 by Tia Lalani
The Augustana Choir tours Alberta with “Shall I Compare Thee…” – music inspired by Shakespeare’s poetry. See it in Camrose on April 26!
Join our chamber choir, The Augustana Choir, for a concert of music inspired by the poetry of the “Bard of Avon”. We’ll explore Shakespeare’s texts through the music of composers from around the world, from classical, to jazz, to just plain fun.
A strong choral tradition at the University of Alberta Augustana Campus dates back to the beginning of the twentieth century. Currently under the direction of Dr. John Wiebe, The Augustana Choir is considered to be one of Western Canada’s most successful undergraduate university choirs. The Augustana Choir studies and performs a wide variety of quality choral literature drawn from all musical periods and styles, including recent compositions and commissions.
An active touring tradition has led The Augustana Choir to perform satisfying concerts for local, national, and international audiences. In May 2014 The Augustana Choir was honoured to accept an invitation to perform at Podium 2014, the national choral conference of Choral Canada.
This concert is part of a local recruitment tour that will see the choir perform in Camrose, Bashaw, Rimbey, Athabasca, Fort McMurray and Edmonton. Details of all concerts are available below:
- Rimbey, AB – Saturday, April 25, 7:30 pm @ Rimbey United Church (4931-51 Avenue) [Admission: by Donation]
- Camrose, AB (Home Concert) – Sunday, April 26, 3:00 pm, Augustana Chapel [Tickets (only at the door): $18 (adults); $14 (students/seniors); $45 (family).]
- Bashaw, AB – Sunday, April 26, 7:30 pm @ the Majestic Theatre [Admission: by Donation]
- Athabasca, AB – Monday, April 27, 7:30 pm @ Athabasca Missionary Church Fellowship (4008 – 50 Avenue) [Admission: by Donation]
- Fort McMurray – Tuesday, April 28, 7:30 pm @Keyano Recital Theatre (8115 Franklin Avenue) [Ticket (only at the door): $15 (adults); $12 (students)
- Edmonton, AB – Wednesday, April 29, 7:30 pm @ First Mennonite Church (3650 – 91 Street) [Admission: by Donation]
Augustana Campus, Featured, Fine Arts. | Permalink
Comments are closed.