Augustana Weekly: It’s all inside – January 30, 2019
Posted on January 25, 2019 by Cindy Edge
Happy Wednesday! There’s a lot going on around campus, from today’s club fair to international week activities starting Monday, and black history month events throughout February. Click the link below for information on those events, plus many more, including a public lecture on Indigenous Education on Feb 4, an information session on our field studies in Costa Rica course on Feb 5, and some great performances and volunteer opportunities this …
Happy Wednesday! There’s a lot going on around campus, from today’s club fair to international week activities starting Monday, and black history month events throughout February. Click the link below for information on those events, plus many more, including a public lecture on Indigenous Education on Feb 4, an information session on our field studies in Costa Rica course on Feb 5, and some great performances and volunteer opportunities this weekend! Even though it feels like the snow will never stop, don’t forget to check out the Help Wanted section for some student summer job opportunities.
- Check out the Club Fair today in the forum from 10 am to 3 pm!
- Augustana is interested in creating an action plan in response/accordance with the University of Alberta’s Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Strategic Plan Draft, which will begin with a faculty/staff session in early February (see details in Staff & Faculty section below). Be on the lookout for future opportunities for students to get involved in discussions as well.
- Next week (from Feb 4 to 8) is International Week! Attend the kick off on Monday at noon in the forum and check out this page for a listing of all the great events that will be happening on campus!
- On behalf of the Augustana Library and the Vikings, you’re invited to join the Library Team (and Hutch the Library Dog!) at noon on Wednesday, January 30th for our ‘Mental Health Moment’. We are taking the opportunity to break that age-old library practice of silence to symbolize our support for those who battle mental illness in silence. This initiative is made possible thanks to such mental health awareness programs as Bell Lets Talk Day (which is Wednesday, January 30th) and our own Augustana Viking’s participation in the ACAC’s ‘Make Some Noise for Mental Health’. We will be providing noisemakers, but you are more than welcome to bring in your own instrument (this event could Use More Cowbell?). Also encouraged are loud voices, clapping hands, and open hearts. There are also a limited number of snazzy Bell Lets Talk toques courtesy of the Vikings. Feel free to bring your smart device so that you can photograph or video the moment, and then share to social media with the hashtags #BellLetsTalk & #MakeSomeNoiseforMentalHealth. By getting involved with Bell’s social media channels, full directions here: https://letstalk.bell.ca/en/bell-lets-talk-day, Bell will contribute money towards mental health initiatives in Canada. The ACAC’s ‘Make Some Noise for Mental Health’ campaign was started by the SAIT Trojans in 2015, and has since evolved into a conference-wide promotion to battle the stigmas of mental health. For more information, please visit http://acac.ab.ca/make-some-noise/make-some-noise-info.
Join an information and discussion session on the U of A’s Equity, Diversity, and Inclusivity Strategic Plan on February 6 in the Roger Epp Room at either 10 am or 3 pm. Please RSVP here.
Research and intersections of gender (RIG) has just been announced as one of three U of A Signature Areas and a RIG consultation will be held on April 10 from 2 to 3:30 pm in the Roger Epp Room for researchers at Augustana to join a conversation about research at the intersections of gender in your area. RSVP here.
LOST AND FOUND
Please view the lineups below and come claim your bottle at Founders’ Hall Reception!
- There’s still time to register for the Community Career Mixer!
A mother kangaroo can simultaneously have a baby in utero, a joey in the pouch, and nurse an older joey who is out of the pouch. Her body modifies a unique milk formula for nursing all. Submitted by Geordie Nelson.
Do you want to share a fun fact? Send it (and your source) to email@example.com!
- The URI is accepting abstracts for the 2019 Festival of Undergraduate Research & Creative Activities (FURCA), taking place March 11-14, 2019 (on North campus). Undergraduate students in any discipline may submit abstracts to present in a variety of formats (e.g. poster, oral presentation, performance, creative exhibit, or other demonstration). Presentations will be judged, and cash prizes awarded at the FURCA awards reception on March 14th. The new deadline to submit your abstract for consideration is Friday, February 1st, 2019. For more information, visit: https://www.ualberta.ca/undergraduate-research-initiative/furca
- Have you had a great undergraduate research experience? Want to thank your mentor? The URI is accepting nominations for the University of Alberta Award for Outstanding Mentorship in Undergraduate Research & Creative Activities. This is a student-nominated, student-adjudicated award recognizing the efforts of faculty, staff, graduate students and post-doctoral fellows to make your undergraduate research experience a success. Submit your nomination by Wednesday, February 6, 2019. For more information, visit: https://www.ualberta.ca/undergraduate-research-initiative/enrich-your-experience/mentor-award
- The Calforex Cup (biathlon competition) in Camrose is looking for volunteers! Sign up to volunteer on Saturday (February 2) or Sunday (February 3). Contact Jan (volunteer coordinator) with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We’d like to see you show off our campus! Take a photo of anything Augustana on Instagram, tag @UofA_Augustana and hashtag #AugustanaWeekly for a chance to win a 20 coffee cup card from the Café! The contest will run until February 13th, when a winner will be randomly chosen and announced. Open to all students, staff, and faculty! Only one entry per person.
Did you like the new format of the newsletter? Hate it? Feeling apathetic? Tell us anyway! Please send feedback to email@example.com.
Augustana Campus. | Permalink
Comments are closed.