Augustana Weekly: February 6, 2019
Posted on February 6, 2019 by Cindy Edge
What’s inside this week’s newsletter? Everything! Find important student information (like the add/drop deadline for this term), some great indoor sports opportunities, and other important campus updates (did you know that you can borrow cross country skis from the library now!? And the library will be hosting a grand opening Tea & Ski next Wednesday!). …
What’s inside this week’s newsletter? Everything! Find important student information (like the add/drop deadline for this term), some great indoor sports opportunities, and other important campus updates (did you know that you can borrow cross country skis from the library now!? And the library will be hosting a grand opening Tea & Ski next Wednesday!). This week is packed with events and performances, including some for International Week and Black History Month, a Lunch & Learn, a Humanities Café Roundtable Discussion (featuring former student and current academic advisor Gavin Wilkes), and a country dance party at the Bailey! There are also some great community events going on, like a new Camrose Carpool service that you can learn all about next Wednesday in the forum, and a Queer Like Me Art Show call for submissions. Stay warm!
- Today (Wednesday, February 6) is the add/drop deadline for the 11-week term.
- Looking to get your indoor physical activity on while it’s -30 outside? Check out the Augustana Climbing Wall located on the stage behind the gym (with door access to the right of Monica’s)! Drop-in hours for the 11-week term are Sundays: 7 to 10 pm, Mondays: 7:30 to 10 pm, Wednesdays: 7 to 10 pm, and Thursdays: 7 to 10 pm. You can also join Augustana’s new Indoor Cricket team! If you’re interested in playing or learning about the sport, stop by the Field House at the Camrose Community Centre on Wednesdays from 9 to 10:30 pm for this fun campus rec activity!
- There are tons of free fitness passes and Vikings game tickets at the reception desk…all you have to do to get one is donate a food bank item! Come on over!
- The last day for instructors to return textbooks to the Bookstore is February 8. If you’re a student who hasn’t purchased your books yet and would like to, don’t wait too long as the Bookstore will be returning unsold books starting February 11!
- The ASA is looking for student feedback on the New Calendar. Visit the following link to complete their survey: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe5isJwoifelCicQeucJdzUBL-K8_nRcBzrOyR-ne2SYQw99g/viewform.
- It’s the LAST WEEK to enter the Augustana Instagram Contest! See details below!
- Augustana’s Environment Health and Safety Committee presents its first Brown-bag Lunch workshop all about Ergonomics in the workplace from noon to 1 pm on February 28. An Ergonomics Specialist will show how to adjust and optimize all furniture and equipment within the workspace to reduce awkward postures and minimize injury. She will touch on the chair, desk, keyboard/mouse, keyboard trays (if available), phone, paperwork, footrest, lighting etc. By the end of the session, participants will have a good understanding of how to adjust their workstations and purpose behind the adjustments. Email Sarah at firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP.
- Today’s (Wednesday, Feb 6) Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Strategy afternoon workshop has been postponed. More information TBA. If you would like to participate in the Augustana EDI Working Group, please contact Kim Misfeldt (email@example.com). If you would like to get involved in the UAlberta EDI Scoping Group, please visit this page for more information.
Research and intersections of gender (RIG) has just been announced as one of three U of A Signature Areas and a RIG consultation will be held on April 10 from 2 to 3:30 pm in the Roger Epp Room for researchers at Augustana to join a conversation about research at the intersections of gender in your area. RSVP here.
In the past five minutes, the earth has traveled more than 5,000 miles.
Do you want to share a fun fact? Send it (and your source) to firstname.lastname@example.org!
We’d like to see you show off our campus! Take a photo of anything Augustana on Instagram, tag @UofA_Augustana and hashtag #AugustanaWeekly for a chance to win a 20 coffee cup card from the Café! The contest will run until February 13th, when a winner will be randomly chosen and announced. Open to all students, staff, and faculty! Only one entry per person.
- Attend the launch of the University of Alberta Equity, Diversity, and Inclusivity (EDI) Strategic Plan, featuring a panel discussion on EDI, at the Centennial Centre for Interdisciplinary Science on North Campus on February 13 at 6:30 pm. For more information and to register, click here.
- Call for art submissions! As a part of the Queer Like Me Art Project, we are holding an Art Show during PRIDE Week (February 24 – March 2) in Camrose! The show will open on February 28 at Camrose Public Library at 7:00 pm. If you are a Queer Youth (24 years and under), in the Camrose area and would like to submit your art for the art show, contact Art Therapist Nikki Featherstone!
** art can be shown anonymously, and artists identity will be kept confidential when requested.
Submissions will be Received until February 18, 2019. Contact Nikki @ Nkmfeatherstone@gmail.com.
LOST AND FOUND
Please view the lineups below and come claim your bottle at Founders’ Hall Reception!
Did you like the new format of the newsletter? Hate it? Feeling apathetic? Tell us anyway! Please send feedback to email@example.com.
Augustana Campus. | Permalink
Comments are closed.