Augustana Weekly: March 6, 2019
Posted on March 6, 2019 by Cindy Edge
This week’s issue includes information on award nominations, an update on our Augustana Vikings playoff results, important dates and deadlines, and some great events, including the Student vs Staff hockey game (which will take place next Thursday, on March 14!), and a Lunch & Learn on Genetic Engineering next Wednesday. Don’t forget to have a …
This week’s issue includes information on award nominations, an update on our Augustana Vikings playoff results, important dates and deadlines, and some great events, including the Student vs Staff hockey game (which will take place next Thursday, on March 14!), and a Lunch & Learn on Genetic Engineering next Wednesday. Don’t forget to have a look at the Hiring section for some great student summer job opportunities, with deadlines fast approaching!
- It’s awards season! And we’re not talking about the Oscars. Nominate someone today for the Student Leadership Awards, the Augustana Students’ Association Sponsored Leadership Awards (for students, staff and faculty, and clubs), the Augustana Faculty Research Award, and/or the Student Award for Library Research. Deadlines are March 14 for the student leadership awards, March 15 for the ASA awards and Faculty Research Award, and March 17 for the Library Award, so get those names in soon!
- The Costa Rica Application Deadline has been extended from March 1 to March 11!
- Augustana’s Substance Use Policy will change, beginning in the Fall of 2019.
- Student Housing and Food Services Updates
- Beginning next year, there will be a 3% increase in cost for food and housing services (North Campus will begin a 5% increase).
- Beginning next year, a pass to the Augustana Fitness Centre will be included for everyone living in residence.
- During next year’s winter break, not every student will need to leave. Stay tuned for details.
- We will be introducing new lounge furniture in the Ravine Residences.
- Beginning in the Fall of 2019, alcohol storage and consumption will be permitted in designated areas in residence. See the substance use policy for more details.
- There are now waffle makers in the cafeteria! Cold cuts and buns will also be out a couple of times per week, to offer more options to students who don’t like the main course. The cafeteria is also looking to introduce more plant-based foods on the hotline, adding nutrition facts to more items, and is also working on offering an alternate main course on the day’s that the main is not so popular. If you have suggestions/comments, send them to email@example.com.
- Drop in hours for the Augustana Climbing Wall (located on the stage behind the gym, with door access to the right of Monica’s) are Sundays: 7 to 10 pm, Mondays: 7:30 to 10 pm, Wednesdays: 7 to 10 pm, and Thursdays: 7 to 10 pm.
- The Winter SAC is scheduled for Tuesday, April 16—no meetings or classes will take place on that day.
Go, Vikings, Go!
The Augustana Vikings have been on a roll!
- Congratulations to Men’s and Women’s Volleyball, who both finished fourth after hard-fought semi-final and bronze medal matches.
- Congratulations to Women’s Curling, who finished with an ACAC Silver Medal and earned a spot at Nationals, and Mixed Curling who finished fourth overall at Conference Championships.
- Congratulations to Women’s Basketball, who placed 4th at the ACAC Championship this past weekend in Fort McMurray.
- Congratulations to Men’s Basketball, who earned an ACAC Bronze Medal at this past weekend’s Championship, hosted by Lakeland College.
- Next: we’re into Hockey Playoffs: Quarter Finals, beginning this Thursday at home at 6 pm in the Max McLean Arena vs. SAIT. Check out the poster in the Campus Events section for details on tickets and bus rides (we’re still looking for a volunteer to drive the Augustana bus! Contact Jadene if you’re interested).
ACAC Coach of the Year goes to…
Augustana’s very own Women’s Basketball Coach, Robyn Fleckenstein! Congrats!
- TLS will be Deploying New Telephones from March 13 to April 12, and will be in touch to confirm exact dates and times. When your phone is replaced, you’ll also receive initial training on your selection so it’s important that you are physically present when your phone is replaced. Beginning March 6, and until your telephone is replaced, you will need to contact the TLS Service Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org, ext. 1600) in order to make changes to your existing voicemail options. Once replaced, you can manage your voicemail/transcription options in MyWeb under “Telephones”.
- The rescheduled session to discuss the University’s EDI Strategic Plan, provided by Logan Mardhani-Bayne, has been set for March 19 at 12:30 pm. Please RSVP if you plan to attend this session so that we can ensure we have enough space to accommodate all.
- The LAB office would like to know if you are Intending to Incorporate a CSLComponent into your 2019-2020 Courses. If so, please fill out this google form. You will need to fill out a form for each of your courses. Please let them know by March 15, and contact email@example.com with any questions.
- The Experiential Learning Fund Application for 2019/2020 is now open (until March 15, 2019). This fund is intended to support experiential learning in 3-week block courses only. You can find the link for the form in the Teaching and Research Commons on eClass. Please ensure you read the guidelines carefully prior to submitting your application. Questions regarding eligibility or the application form can be directed to Jayla Lindberg at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Augustana’s very own Conference on Undergraduate Research and Innovative Teaching (ACURIT) is taking place May 14 and 15. The Dean’s office has generously offered to cover registration for any Augustana students, faculty, and staff interested in attending! Visit the ACURIT page for more information and to register (simply submit the form and ignore the payment page).
- It’s time to sign up for the Staff vs. Student Hockey Game on March 14 (starts at 5:30, game starts at 6:00, $20 entry fee)! If memory serves, the students won last year…let’s see if they’ll make it two in a row! In case you’re wondering, the Staff vs. Students annual floor hockey game raises money for KidSport, the non-for-profit organization that helps kids to play sports! Also, there will be popcorn and a 50/50 draw! All proceeds from the draw will go to KidSport as well. If you can’t play, come out and cheer the teams on!
- Kim Misfeldt is hosting a German Movie Showing every Monday evening at 7 pm until April 8. Ask Kim for showing details, or simply show up to be pleasantly surprised!
The femur is the scientific name for thigh bones. The femur is so strong, they are thought to be around eight times stronger than concrete.
Do you want to share a fun fact? Send it (and your source) to email@example.com!
Click the link below to view the complete Augustana Campus Recreation Schedule
- Check out a few Undergraduate Research Initiatives!
- The URI is recruiting volunteers for the 2019-2020 Peer Undergraduate Research Liaison (PURL) program. PURLs assist URI with a variety of activities, including awareness-raising, event planning, program delivery, and advising students about research opportunities. Undergrads in any year and any discipline are welcome to apply. The deadline is March 25!
- Spectrum is currently recruiting undergraduate & graduate student editors for the 2019-2020 academic year. This is an excellent opportunity for students interested in undergraduate research to learn about the publication and peer review process. Students from all disciplines are welcome to apply. The deadline is March 25!
- If you’re an early career scholar or postdoc interested in collaborative research but have never done collaborative research, join the Research at the Intersections of Gender team for a half-day, an interactive workshop entitled Better Together: Introduction to Building Collaborative Research Teams. The workshop will include group activities, skill building, networking, and discussions of research over lunch on March 6, from 9 am to 1 pm in the Education South 10th Floor Lounge on North Campus. RSVP here.
- The Alberta Craft Gallery presents Lumina from March 9 to April 20. Artists Carissa Baktay and Cathinka Mæhlum are travelling all the way from Norway for an Artist Talk and Reception on Sunday, March 9 from 2 to 4 pm (RSVP here). For more information, visit http://www.albertacraft.ab.ca.
LOST AND FOUND
These items have been away a long time and want to come home! Pick them up at Founders’ Hall Reception!
Did you like the new format of the newsletter? Hate it? Feeling apathetic? Tell us anyway! Please send feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Augustana Campus. | Permalink