It’s Sustainability Awareness Week! You’ve no doubt noticed all of the events taking place in the forum so far this week, and have started to see the slow accumulation of items being dropped off for SCORE tomorrow…and there’s still so much more! Check out this issue of the Weekly for details on the rest of Sustainability Awareness Week (including a delicious local lunch in the dining hall today!) as well as a number of other campus events, like tomorrow’s Lunch & Learn on Corporate Crimes, a grad school info night session next Tuesday, and some upcoming Halloween fun. Have you noticed a few new faces in the Augustana library? Scroll down to learn more about our new public services assistant, Bojan, and new library assistant, Lynette. Also featured in this week’s Weekly: updates from the Vikings, an international World’s Challenge Challenge, a new student job posting for a position in Monica’s Café, and more!
- It’s Sustainability Awareness Week! Check out the Campus Events section for information on the rest of the week’s events, including SCORE tomorrow, and Break Up with Your Cup day on Friday.
- Are you a senior student interested in pursuing grad school after your degree? Attend next Tuesday’s grad school info night where you’ll find good information AND pizza…a win-win! The session is designed to cater to students across the disciplines so everyone is welcome to attend.
- A student from North Campus is working on an initiative to phase out single-use plastic on campus and encourage the use of reusable products through education programs and incentives. She has created a petition to ban the use of single-use plastics at the University of Alberta and is asking anyone interested to join her in signing. For more information, email Sarah Patterson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- TLS has scheduled an evening outage for the campus telephone service on Friday, November 1 from 8 pm to 2 am. Contact the TLS Help Desk with any questions or concerns.
- Please plan to join us on Tuesday, October 29 at 2:30 pm in the Mayer Family Community Hall at the Lougheed Performing Arts Centre to celebrate the dedication of our long-serving employees reaching milestones this year. Coffee, tea, and treats will be available. RSVP here.
- Attend this Thursday’s Lunch & Learn on Corporate Crimes. Only $5 lunch for staff and faculty and students eat FREE courtesy of the alumni office!
- Halloween is almost here! Dress up and play in campus rec’s Halloween Dodge Ball Tournament, or enter into Augustana’s Green & Ghoul Day costume contest.
- Next week is Sexual Violence Awareness Week hosted by the Augustana Students’ Association—check back for more information tomorrow!
Yuck! With nearly 1500 edible insect species to choose from, here are a few comparables: beetles taste like apples, wasps like pine nuts and worms like fried bacon.
Do you want to share a fun fact? Send it (and your source) to email@example.com!
Have you noticed a few new faces in the Augustana Library lately?
- Meet Bojan Kumovic, the new Public Services Assistant at the Augustana Library!
- Throughout my career, I worked for three university libraries both in Canada and Serbia, with the most recent one being at MacEwan University Library in Edmonton. My passion for travel, meeting new cultures and adventure brought me here four years ago and I am still exploring Alberta and Canada like I am on a big trip. I also love music, art, old movies, photography, road trips, spending time in nature, cycling, hiking, going out, meeting new people, cooking, reading and sometimes just hanging out with myself.
- Meet Lynette Vandenberg, the new Library Assistant at the Augustana Library!
- I’m really excited to be working in the Augustana Library! For the past 20+ years I have been a teacher, mainly in Kindergarten and French as a Second Language, so this is a huge change for me. I have three “kids”—my oldest graduated from Augustana in 2018, my middle son is in Engineering at North Campus, and my daughter is in Grade 12. I also have a ginger cat named Chester! I love to travel and read.
Welcome to Augustana!
- Vikings Soccer wrapped up their season this past weekend. Men finished the season with a 2-10-0 (win-lose-tie) record, while the women had a record of 6-6-0.
- Basketball and Volleyball will share the gym this weekend for their Home Openers, both against The King’s University Eagles.
- Cross-country running will make an appearance at the 2019 ACAC Provincials, hosted by SAIT this weekend.
- Hockey opened their season against RDC last weekend but did not manage to take home a win either game.
- Catch the Vikings Hot Seat every Friday Morning at 8:30 am on 98.1 New Country!
- University of Alberta students are encouraged to take part in the World’s Challenge Challenge, open now! Students have a chance to win $10,000 for the UAlberta competition, along with a ticket to the international competition in London, Ontario, at Western University to compete for the grand prize of $30,000! Visit the link for more information.
- Students can also look to the MyUAlberta App for on-campus job postings. Look under the “Life at Augustana” tile to find “Student Job Opportunities”.