Did you know that Augustana will soon be regularly hosting a Saturday farmer’s market? Or that current third-and-fourth-year students have the opportunity to work in rural communities next summer, as part of the Pathways Program? Have you heard that former Augustana student and rising country music star Ryan Lindsay is returning to Augustana for an album release concert next week at the performing arts centre? Or that Sustainability Awareness Week is just around the corner? Find all of this information, and more, in today’s issue of the Augustana Weekly. Also included but not yet mentioned: an important announcement for staff/faculty regarding the UAlberta website, Vikings updates, a cute turkey, student success workshops, various lectures and performances, and a Thanksgiving dinner for lunch (!).
Have a great week, everyone!
- Are you a third-or-fourth-year student interested in working in a rural community next summer? Attend the Pathways Program info session today and tomorrow at noon in the Rashmi Bale Learning Commons to find out more!
- Beginning this Saturday, the Augustana forum will play host to the Camrose Farmer’s Market (a complement to the downtown Farmer’s Market, which will move into our forum for the winter months)! The market will take place every Saturday from 10 am to 2 pm until June (except when the forum is being used for Augustana-specific events). Augustana students are encouraged not only to visit the market, but to participate either as buskers, vendors, or to promote student-run associations and clubs! Student vendors will be able to rent their first five tables at a decreased rate of $10/table (applied to any Augustana student group that is not for profit and is either raising funds or awareness for their particular organization. For more information, visit the market website at https://camrosecampusmarket.com
- It’s Cyber Security Awareness Month! Get tips throughout October on how to choose a strong passphrase, spot a phishing attack, and keep your private data private. Cybersecurity has evolved… have you? Find out at http://bit.ly/2oKRFq7
- The University of Alberta has begun the year-long process of transferring over to a new content management system (CMS) to run its website. Although there will be small design tweaks from an end-user perspective, the theme and organization of the site will remain. If you currently work in Sitecore to make changes to the website, expect a follow-up email with more detail regarding how you will be affected. Please contact Dylan Anderson (email@example.com) with any questions or concerns.
- Please plan to join us on Tuesday, October 29 at 2:30 pm in the Mayer Family Community Hall at the Lougheed Performing Arts Centre to celebrate the dedication of our long-serving employees reaching milestones this year. Coffee, tea, and treats will be available. RSVP here.
- Next Tuesday (October 15) is the Vikings Scholar Awards Recognition Event in the forum from 1:40 to 2:05 pm. Stop by to congratulate our 64 student-athletes who are earned these academic awards, and celebrate their hard work in making us home to the most scholar-athletes in the entire ACAC! Also, there will be cookies…cookies that look like little Vikings!
- Join Erin Sutherland’s Performance Art class this Wednesday in the forum at 12:30 pm as they perform Jon Cage’s “4’33″! The performance is an important piece in the history of performance art, and will only take a few minutes.
Dogs are capable of understanding up to 250 words and gestures. They have also demonstrated the ability to do simple mathematical calculations.
Do you want to share a fun fact? Send it (and your source) to firstname.lastname@example.org!
- Vikings updates!
- Michio Green placed first overall at the cross-country running Grand Prix #4 on September 28 at SAIT. Congrats, Michio! We’ll be hosting Grand Prix #5 this weekend at Stoney Creek, starting at noon!
- The women’s soccer team is in a three-way tie for third in the South.
- Hockey is heading to Caronport, SK to face Briercrest this weekend in their season opener. You can watch the games online at acactv.ca!
- The Vikings soccer teams will also be playing this Saturday, against the Olds College Broncos, on our soccer field. Women play at 12, men play at 2.
- Students can also look to the MyUAlberta App for on-campus job postings. Look under the “Life at Augustana” tile to find “Student Job Opportunities”.